The Kentucky Derby: Known for its heralded venue, historic races, mint juleps and arguably the largest collection of colorful clothing and oversized/wild hats.
Taking part of the festivities at Churchill Downs creates some of the most memorable moments in one’s life. A weekendlong affair, really, highlighted by the largest cocktail party in Louisville.
Of course, not everyone has the means to make it to Kentucky for the first leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown on May 7. Fear not. Not only can New York residents take part in Kentucky Derby betting via the TVG app, but they can also get a taste of the Derby closer to home.
Here’s a few PlayNY picked out that might be worth your while:
The Derby Party at National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame
The National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame will stage an afternoon of Derby action in Saratoga Springs.
From 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., with tickets ranging between $30 and $180, the soirée will feature the following:
- Coverage of the Kentucky Derby pre-show throughout the Museum
- Samplings from local restaurants, breweries, distilleries and wineries
- Live music with the East End Boys
- Awards for the best Derby attire with Natalie Sillery of Saratoga Trunk- dress to impress!
- Smartphone wagering with NYRA Bets
- Race day inspired 50/50 Raffle
- Silent Auction
- LIVE AUCTION of a 2% share in a West Point Thoroughbreds NY-bred GOOD SAMARITAN colt during his racing career
- Live airing of the Kentucky Derby in the NEW Hall of Fame
- Giveaways…and more!
Bourbon at Belmont Park Racetrack
When the Kentucky Derby concludes, the Belmont Stakes will take center stage for the second leg of the Triple Crown.
On Saturday, however, the Elmont racetrack will offer tickets ranging from $15 to $75 for its four-hour event starting at 3:30 p.m.
This special event will feature more than thirty bourbons for tasting, a selection of craft beers and a live simulcast of the Kentucky Derby. With grandstand viewing of the track, partygoers will enjoy live event day racing and convenient betting windows.
Derby Day at Somewhere Nowhere NYC
In New York City from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., come cheer on your favorite horse, sip on some mint juleps and try to win the $1,000 prize by showing off your fanciest Churchill Downs-ready hat and outfit.
Now in its 11th year of Derby action, the venue claims it as the largest and longest-running annual Derby Day celebration.
Every year, Somewhere Nowhere brings a new level of experiences and surprises. That includes over 2,000 roses across the entirety of the venue and a curated menu of light bites and cocktails. What’s more, guests will enjoy the city’s best live DJs, live jazz bands and special performances by a trumpet player, burlesque dancers and much more.
Purchase of admission is highly recommended due to high demand. And again, the best outfit will receive a $1,000 prize. Two different types of admission tiers exist: Open-bar Reservation or Table Reservations. Tickets range from $45 to $4,000.
NYC Derby Party at Tanner Smith’s
Throw on your fanciest, Churchill Downs-ready hat and place your bets on a horse with the wittiest name for the 2022 Kentucky Derby Day party at this New York City get-together. Located in Midtown Manhattan by Central Park, you can celebrate the wins and the losses while having a great time.
With tickets costing $150, and going from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., the event will feature:
- 4 Hour Premium Open Bar from 3-7pm
- Appetizer platter at your table
- Live music / DJ throughout the day
- Live band from 3pm – 5pm
- Showcase your fanciest and spiffiest derby hats & suits
Guests can also enjoy Derby-themed cocktails such as Woodford Reserve mint juleps, cucumber mules and blackberry thyme bourbon lemonades. VIP admission will include table-side bottle service and an extensive food menu.
Kentucky Derby Party at 230 Fifth
Head down to New York’s biggest rooftop and penthouse venue for a classic Derby experience starting at 4 p.m. and with tickets costing $20.
Bring your fanciest hat and be in your most stylish look. Cheer on your favorite horse as they run for the roses.
At 230 Fifth, guests will enjoy the following:
- Delicious handcrafted cocktails and premium drinks
- Access to NYC’s most famous rooftop & penthouse – 230 Fifth
- Prime Manhattan location
- Incredible skyline view of the city and Empire State Building
- Hundreds of guests to meet
- Amazing lighting, sound, and decor