Upstate casinos are on a financial uptick.
In July, all four of New York’s upstate casinos saw their revenue reach its 2021 high point.
Del Lago Resort and Casino, Rivers Casino and Resort, and Tioga Downs Casino all established new monthly records, according to the data:
- Resorts World Catskills: $22,059,507
- del Lago Resort and Casino: $16,078,168
- Rivers Casino and Resort: $16,058,208
- Tioga Downs Casino: $8,801,781
Every commercial casino set a record for revenue
New York’s casinos, forced to temporarily close for several months during the panic, continue to try and recover. In that respect, these numbers are highly encouraging.
- Resorts World Catskills had its highest monthly revenue since August 2019 ($22,458,465)
- del Lago Resort and Casino eclipsed its previous high ($14,767,579) set in March 2019
- Rivers Casino and Resort also eclipsed its previous high ($15,974,470) set in March 2019
- Tiago Downs Casino likewise eclipsed its previous high ($7,949,840) set in March 2019
For the state, that meant a combined $18,011,912 in gaming taxes.
Looking at credits played at slot machines and money dropped on table games, the volume of betting is on the rise at all four properties. None more so than del Lago though. That property saw a 26.7% bump in slot activity and 36.1% jump in table games play between June and July.
All four casinos experienced a significant uptick in traffic though, with slot activity up 19.7% month-over-month and table games up an even heathlier 28.6% from June.
Sports betting activity dropped from June
The strong performance in July revenue is the result of increased revenues from slots and table games.
Resorts World Catskills, for example, made $12,987,202 from slots and $8,319,637 from table games in July. Comparatively, those figures were $10,750,154 from slots and $6,079,817 from table games in June.
One minor note: Sports betting was down, particularly at del Lago Resort and Casino ($312,192 in July, $626,478 in June). Rivers Casino and Resort also took a slight hit ($541,497 in July, $770,122 in June). These numbers are in line with other states with legal sports betting.
Granted, for New York sports fans, there weren’t many local teams to bet on. The Yankees (14-9) and Mets (14-13) both had winning records in July.
Of course, their overall records have looked a lot different since the calendar flipped to August.
Good for the Yankees (72-52). Bad for the Mets (61-63). Even so, NY upstate casinos emerged as big winners in July.
Casino concerts and events could boost fall numbers
Local entertainment options are returning to New York’s casinos.
- The Trick is playing a rock concert at Tioga Downs on Sept. 10.
- MMA’s Cage Wars 48 is headed to Rivers Casino and Resort Schenectady Events Center on Sept. 11.
- Stone Temple Pilots are coming to the Vine Showroom at del Lago Resort and Casino on Oct. 29.
- REO Speedwagon will play at Resorts World Catskills Epicenter on Dec. 3.