Online blackjack re-creates the popular casino card game in the comfort of your own home. It’s easy to play on your desktop computer or tablet.
You can now play online blackjack games in New York. There are two ways to hit 21 and the beat the dealer: You can sign up at free-to-play casinos that are affiliated with land-based New York resorts or you can play blackjack with sweepstakes casinos.
Download these online casino apps in NY and bet in NJ
How to play blackjack online for free
It’s currently illegal to play real-money casino games in New York.
While some states, including New Jersey, move forward with regulated online casinos, New York state is struggling to catch up.
There are bigger and better land-based casinos in New York; however, and sports betting (at physical locations) was recently made legal. Residents of New York City and the rest of the state are crossing their fingers with hopes that blackjack, roulette, and slots will follow suit soon.
However, you can play blackjack online for free. There is a range of games available at social casinos like Chumba Casino and free-to-play casinos for New York-based gamblers.
Playing blackjack online
The idea of the game is simple: You and the dealer receive two cards. Your cards are face up, and the dealer has one down and one up.
You must draw more cards (hit) until you reach 21 without going over (bust). The dealer goes last and keeps hitting until he or she makes 17 or over. If you beat the dealer, you win. If you go bust, you lose.
Online blackjack generally uses six to eight decks. The software shuffles the deck after every hand, and an audited RNG (random number generator) governs the reliable software.
Popular blackjack terms
- Bet: To start, select a stake level and move your chips to the betting area.
- Hit: You receive another card. Aces are worth one or 11, and picture cards are worth 10.
- Stand: You receive no more cards.
- Double down: The double down is a second bet on totals of nine, 10 or 11. Some variants let you double down on any total. When you double down, you receive one more card. Your turn is now over.
- Split: If you get dealt a pair, you can choose to split the cards and continue with two separate hands. This is a good move if you’re holding high-value cards like 9-9 or 10-10.
- Re-split: You can often re-split an already split hand that forms a pair. You can usually re-split aces as well.
- Insurance: Insurance is an extra bet you can make at the start of a hand. You win 2:1 on your insurance bet if the dealer lands a winning blackjack.
- Odds: Some free-to-play online blackjack games offer a special odds option, which lets you check your chances of winning each hand depending on the cards shown.
- Payouts: If you beat the dealer’s total, or if the dealer goes bust, you are paid 1:1. If you get dealt a natural blackjack (e.g., A-Q), you win 3:2. If you and the dealer score the same total, the hand is a “push,” and your stake is returned.
Real money online blackjack
Sweepstakes casinos allow you to play blackjack and win real cash prizes. Sweepstakes casino sites like Chumba Casino run games with the potential to end up with real money.
When you play, you can purchase “gold coins” to use at blackjack tables. By buying the virtual currency, you receive “Sweeps Coins.” This cash holds no monetary value and can’t be purchased.
However, if you select the sweeps coins option at a blackjack table, you can win more Sweeps Coins and then convert it to ream money later. You can redeem cash prizes after undertaking a short verification process.
Popular online blackjack variants
You can find basic blackjack variations at free-to-play online casinos in New York state. Classic blackjack lets you split and double down on your hands. You can even take insurance against the dealer’s blackjack.
But what other variants will you be able to find at New York online casinos as gaming laws change? Let’s take neighboring New Jersey as an example.
Many online blackjack variants are unavailable in your local land-based casino. They come with different rules, house edges and payouts; however, they all provide exciting gambling opportunities for players.
- Multihand Blackjack: In classic blackjack online, you can bet on and play one hand at a time. Multihand blackjack lets you gamble on up to five hands at once. You don’t need to wait for other players to vacate their seats, and you can bet a range of stakes.
- Atlantic City Blackjack: Atlantic City Blackjack was born in New Jersey but is now available at the best online casinos. The dealer stands on a soft 17, and players can make a “late surrender.” This rule lets you give up your hand if the dealer is showing a potential blackjack.
- Spanish 21: Spanish 21 sees some of the 10-value cards removed. A double down is allowed after a split. You can also surrender your hand if the dealer shows a potential blackjack.
- Vegas Strip Blackjack: This fun blackjack variant originated in Las Vegas, but you can find it at good New Jersey online casinos. You play the game with four decks. The key difference in Vegas Strip Blackjack is that the dealer “peeks” at his hand at the start of a game to check if he has blackjack. If he lands blackjack with 10-up, you only lose your original stake.
- Vegas Downtown Blackjack: In Vegas Downtown Blackjack, you can split identical cards and two cards of the same value (e.g., Q-K or 10-J). As the game is only played with two decks and makes pairs a lot stronger.
- Blackjack X-Change: Blackjack X-Change is a new online variant that puts you in control of the hand. The same basic blackjack rules apply, but you can purchase and sell cards to guarantee a profit.
Top online blackjack tips
You can get a head start at online casinos with a few essential tips.
- Find a good online casino: There is a limited selection of online blackjack casinos in New York state in 2019. Free-to-play casinos offer a safe and fun place to play. If you choose the right casino, you can take a shot at winning a little free cash.
- Choose a variant that is right for you: There are several blackjack variants available online. Classic blackjack is a standard option at free-to-play casinos. You should have a basic idea of the blackjack house edge. Classic blackjack comes with a house edge of 0.5%.
- Print a cheat sheet: The house edge can increase if you don’t employ a basic blackjack strategy. The edge can rise to 2% if you play blackjack badly and make the wrong decisions. To make the right moves, print a cheat sheet. A cheat sheet displays the optimal moves based on your and the dealer’s cards. The sheet recommends when to hit, stand, split and double down. Download one and keep it open on your monitor as you play.
- Manage your bankroll: You can go bust in online blackjack if you don’t manage your budget properly. You can typically bet as low as 50c on a hand of online blackjack, much lower than the minimum stakes found at land-based casinos in New York. You should bet a small percentage of your bankroll on each hand. If your bankroll is $100, bet $1 a hand and keep your stakes standard.
Playing live dealer blackjack in 2019
You can find virtual blackjack tables in many land-based New York casinos. A real-life dealer handles the action at a real table using real cards. Up to 10 players can watch the action on an HD screen and place bets via touchscreens.
You can also find live dealer blackjack games online, though not in New York. These games allow you to play the hand in the same way as a conventional game of blackjack. The action is handled by a human dealer using specially coded cards that are read by a camera and displayed on your screen.
Currently, there are no free-to-play live dealer blackjack games available online in New York. However, these games are popular at legal NJ online casinos. We expect live dealer tables to be available if New York eventually legalizes online gambling.
Discover the best online blackjack in NY
It can be fun to play blackjack online in New York in 2019. The question is, where do you play?
Free-to-play casinos let you play with credits and get a feel for the software. You can even win a little free cash at selected sweepstakes sites like Chumba Casino or Luckyland Slots Casino.
Playing blackjack online doesn’t mean traveling miles to your nearest NY casino. Enjoy this popular card game at home or on mobile and beat the dealer.