Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel
Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel is a premium gambling destination in western New York, located just off the New York State Thruway Exit 48 and minutes away from Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Rochester.
Batavia Downs Gaming has a long and rich history, being a part of the Batavia Downs Racetrack, which has been in the business since 1940. The racetrack has been hailed as one of the oldest lighted harness racetracks in the United States.
As a racino, Batavia Downs is allowed to offer Class II gambling machines or video lottery terminals that closely resemble classic casino slots. The numbers keep on growing, with over 850 VLTs currently, spread across 60,000 square feet. With every new renovation and upgrade the casino goes through, it adds more machines from top providers.
Apart from casino gambling, visitors can enjoy live wagering on races that take place at the racetrack from July to December. They can also participate in off-track pari-mutuel betting on races organized across the state.
There’s also an 84-room hotel on the premises and five on-site restaurants. Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel is open every day, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., to all patrons 18 or older.
Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel
- Address: 8315 Park Road, Batavia, New York
- Owner: Western Regional Off-Track Betting (public benefit corporation)
- Operator: Western Regional Off-Track Betting (public benefit corporation)
- Hours: Daily, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Casino games: 850+ video lottery terminals
- Sportsbook: Live and off-track pari-mutuel horse betting
- Poker room: No
New York Casinos in the News
Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel online gambling partnerships
Batavia Downs Gaming acted quickly when the state of New York legalized online horse wagering in the first quarter of 2018. Namely, the racetrack partnered with Saratoga Casino Hotel and eBet Technologies to launch Batavia Bets, one of the state’s first interactive betting platforms, allowing players to place their wagers, watch the races live and keep track of all scores in real time.
Of course, if the state of New York and New York Gaming Commission ever legalize online casinos, Batavia Downs Gaming will already be equipped with the infrastructure and the skills to set up such an operation. It may also consider partnering with one of the top operators expected to apply for a NY license, which would likely include:
The casino at Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel
Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel boasts 60,000 square feet of casino space, where you can find 850+ VLTs from top casino software providers such as Bally, IGT, Every and Spielo. The casino might rely solely on these slot-like machines, but the diverse library of games is more than enough to keep you entertained.
However, the lack of live table games and a poker room is undeniably a downside, especially if you ask those patrons who prefer old-school table games. Still, in order to offer live table casino games, Batavia Downs would have to obtain a Class III license first, and that can be a lengthy and costly procedure. For now, Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel relies on video lottery terminals and horse wagering to take care of the gambling side of things.
The electrifying playing atmosphere at Batavia Downs Gaming is supercharged with regular promotions and bonuses the casino has in store for new and existing players. Some of the promotions you can expect to find at the casino at the moment are:
- Mardi Gras Prize Draw —Batavia Downs Gaming and its patrons mark the holiday with random draws of Hot Seat machines on which lucky winners can get up to $99 in free play.
- Forever Young Mondays — All patrons 50 and older who earn at least 10 base points on specific days will get $15 in free play, 20% off their lunch or dinner purchases, and a special treat at 34 Rush restaurant.
- Mega Mystery Hot Seats — Six winners are selected between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., and each will get a chance to receive $250 in free play.
With precisely 854 machines on the casino floor, Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel has all the firepower necessary to attract slot enthusiasts in the area. The VLTs are from leading developers of casino machines, such as IGT, Every, Spielo, Bally and others. The devices come in multiple denominations, such as $0.01, $0.25, $0.50 and $1, making them a good choice for both novices and experienced players with deeper pockets.
Progressive jackpot machines are among the most popular games at the casino, which is why many players opt for Pan Pan Progressive, Dangerous Beauty 2, Gong Xi Fa Cai, Kings Fortune Progressive and others. These machines allow players to win jackpots worth tens of thousands of dollars for a bet as low as a single cent.
The list of slot machines at Batavia Downs Gaming is pretty long. Still, we can highlight the ones players return to. Namely, they often opt for the branded slots, such as The Hangover, Wheel of Fortune and Michael Jackson King of Pop. Other options are as follows:
- 5 Treasures
- All About Money Hot Shot
- American Original
- Blazing 7’s Hot Shot
- Copper Cash
- Quick Hit Cash Spin
- Quick Hit Platinum Stars and Bars
- Sex and the City
- Blazing Peppers
- Ca$h’m if you Can!
- Triple Double Diamond FG SAVP
- Garden of Amazon
- Fortunes of Atlantis
Unfortunately, there are no classic live table games at Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel in Batavia, NY. However, visitors can still find this kind of action in the form of electronic table games. Most of them are versions of video poker, such as Double Double Match Card Draw Poker, Multi-Game Poker 6, Bonus Poker, Double Bonus Poker, GK MULTI POKER and Triple Chance Poker AVP. It remains to be seen when the casino might include a couple of actual live tables.
Players Club loyalty program
The freebies and rewards players can expect from Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel are not limited to one-time offers. On the contrary, the casino is home to a generous loyalty program called the Players Club.
The program’s membership is free of charge. By becoming members, players can get hold of perks such as free play bonuses, discounts on foods and drinks, hotel stays, free check cashing and discounts at the souvenir shop.
The program comprises four distinct tiers: Select, Preferred, Premier and Elite. The higher the tier, the better the rewards you may reap. To advance to the next tier level, players must accumulate a certain number of points. Here’s the structure:
- Select — 0 to 3,499 points
- Preferred — 3,500 to 6,999 points
- Premier — 7,000 to 9,999 points
- Elite — 10,000+ points
Although the free play bonuses; birthday bonuses; free water, coffee and tea; free valet services; and other perks are available to players of all levels, only the top tiers give out the prizes such as free monthly meals, tickets to events in the area and extra bonus points.
Live harness racing at Batavia Downs Gaming Hotel
Starting in July, players can expect the live harness racing season at Batavia Downs to resume, bringing between two and four live matinee, twilight and night events per week. The season will last until December.
Bettors can place various bets, from place, show and win to exotics like quinellas, exactas and trifectas. There is a detailed guide on all things related to pari-mutuel wagering on the casino’s site, where you can also find lots of information about the riders, track records, race replays and anything else that might help you place a winning bet.
Pari-mutuel wagering on live harness racing has been going on at Batavia Downs since 1940. This racetrack was the first one in the entire US to offer night races.
All NY Casino & Sportsbook Reviews
- Akwesasne Mohawk Casino & Sportsbook
- del Lago Casino and Sportsbook
- Empire City Casino at Yonkers Raceway
- Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack
- Hamburg Gaming Buffalo Raceway
- Jake’s 58 Casino
- LakeSide Entertainment
- Monticello Gaming and Raceway
- Point Place Casino and Sports Book
- Resorts World Casino in New York
- Resorts World Catskills Casino & Sportsbook
- Rivers Casino & Sportsbook Schenectady
- Saratoga Casino & Horse Racing
- Seneca Allegany Resort and Casino
- Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino – Sportsbook & Games
- Seneca Gaming & Entertainment in Salamanca
- Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino – Amenities & Attractions
- The Yellow Brick Road Casino
- Turning Stone Casino Resort – Premier Destination Resort
- Vernon Downs Casino Hotel & Race Track
Batavia Downs Gaming and Hotel amenities
Batavia also has you covered for more than casino gambling and harness race betting.
Hotel at Batavia Downs Gaming
In 2016, a $7.5 million upgrade to the facility led to the addition of a hotel at Batavia Downs equipped with 80 rooms and four suites. Although only some of the accommodations overlook the racetrack, all of them feature bed sets with Pacific Coast feather down pillows, high-speed internet, in-room safes and Green Natura branded eco-friendly bath amenities.
The list of complementary items doesn’t stop there. The hotel offers a $10 free play bonus at the casino per night, free hot breakfast and valet parking services. The hotel is entirely accessible to guests with disabilities, with an electric scooter rental option available to help you get around the area more easily.
Batavia Downs is a dream destination not only for casino players but also for all gourmets out there, thanks to the five restaurants and bars on the premises. Whether you are looking for the ultimate fine dining experience or a quick late-night snack, the restaurants at Batavia Downs have got you covered.
- Fortune’s Restaurant — Located at the south end of the casino floor, this is the perfect venue for appetizers, salads, pasta, pizza, seafood and many other savory dishes. Culinary cocktails and drinks that go well with every dish are also available. If you crave more privacy while watching a race, you can call to reserve the new Sinatra Room and enjoy the restaurant’s specialties without missing a single moment from the track.
- Homestretch Grill — Homestretch Grill is ideal for those guests who want to grab a quick bite before heading to the casino, thanks to the restaurant’s fast service. Here, you can find breakfast, lunch and dinner options at affordable prices. The restaurant opens early and closes late, so you can enjoy a burger or sandwich whenever hunger strikes.
- Clubhouse & Rail Bar — Clubhouse & Rail Bar represents the ultimate combination of a refined restaurant and a trendy bar. The restaurant is open during the live racing season, and it’s located next to the racetrack, so you won’t miss a moment of the action. The extensive menu of drinks, salads and meals will suit a variety of tastes.
- The Gatsby at Fortune’s — The Gatsby at Fortune’s is a bar next to Fortune’s Restaurant. It’s your go-to place for a nightcap or a casual meeting with friends. The bar’s intimate setting and its great choice of refreshments of all kinds are the perfect recipe for a memorable night out.
- Labatt Blue Zone at 34 Rush — The trademark sports bar of Buffalo Bills Hall-of-Fame running back Thurman Thomas, this venue lets you catch all the sports action with your friends on 30 HDTVs and two 15-foot screens. You can also enjoy a selection of chicken wings, burgers, pizza and cool drinks, including draft imported beers.
Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel history
As we have briefly mentioned earlier, the Batavia Downs racetrack has been around since 1940, making it the oldest lighted harness racetrack in the United States. Over the years, the racetrack has undergone many renovations and upgrades. After a 1962 fire, the grandstand was renovated and enclosed in glass. In 1972, the state of New York legalized off-track betting, and the year after, the Western Regional Off-Track Betting Corp., which bought the facility in 1998, was created.
Another monumental event — the legalization of VLTs at racetracks by the New York Legislature — allowed the casino to add 600 machines. In 2005, the facility added more gambling devices, and the venue was rebranded as Batavia Downs Gaming.
With the hotel’s construction in 2016, another rebranding took place. The venue is now known as Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel, as it can offer its visitors premium accommodation, apart from gambling and entertainment services.