Derek Helling serves as a contributing writer to PlayNY. Since starting to cover regulated gambling in the US in 2019, Derek has helped report on the efforts of New York lawmakers to legalize online sports betting in the state while also keeping tabs on casinos in the Empire State, the New York Lottery and professional and college teams in the state.
Derek has also helped manage the BetHer site, which shines a spotlight on women’s sporting events and legal sports betting related to those events. He has also covered sports business and law for various publications, including Advocacy for Fairness in Sports.
For more than 20 years, Derek has served as a journalist. He now lives in Chicago with his wife and overlord Munchkin cats.
Writing on New York online gambling
- WynnBet Hunting For Some Goodwill With Ben Affleck Spokesperson Deal
- Game On: New York State Gaming Commission Releases Online Sports Betting RFA
- Gaming Commission Misses RFA Deadline, Putting Launch Timeline In Doubt
Writing on sports
- Chatham-Kent Sports Network: Even If The College Athlete Right to Organize Act Doesn’t Become Law, The Line of Demarcation Is Now Evident
- Equalizer Soccer: Women’s Soccer is the Huge Opportunity That Legal U.S. Sportsbooks are Largely Ignoring
- FanSided: Cincinnati city council follows shady example of Cleveland in stadium funding
Posts by Derek Helling:
- Is Now The Time To Buy On 2022 New York Liberty Championship Futures?, 13 May 2022
- New York Liberty At Phoenix Mercury WNBA Playoff Betting Preview And Odds – September 23, 2021, 23 Sep 2021
- New York Liberty Vs Washington Mystics Betting Preview And Lines – September 17, 2021, 17 Sep 2021
- WynnBet Hunting For Some Goodwill With Ben Affleck Spokesperson Deal, 16 Aug 2021
- New Yorkers Win Two Seven-Figure Prizes From Scratch-Off Games Last Week, 23 Jul 2021
- Don’t Blame Sports Betting For NY Casinos’ June Revenue Downturn, 19 Jul 2021
- Game On: New York State Gaming Commission Releases Online Sports Betting RFA, 09 Jul 2021
- Gaming Commission Misses RFA Deadline, Putting Launch Timeline In Doubt, 07 Jul 2021
- Dutchess County Woman Turns $30 Into $10 Million Playing NY Lottery Game, 25 Jun 2021
- Gov. Cuomo Ends Capacity Restrictions At State’s Commercial Casinos, 24 Jun 2021