Golden Nugget Sportsbook NY Review and Bonus Code
Golden Nugget Sportsbook offers sports bettors in New York the ability to place bets on online and mobile platforms; the only catch is that you need to be in New Jersey when it comes time to place your bets.
Golden Nugget is one of the most recognizable names in gambling, and its online sportsbook and casino offerings continue to get bigger and better.
For this review, we go over the ins-and-outs of using an online sportsbook account in New Jersey if you live in NY, as well as the Golden Nugget bonus code that will get you a free bet up to $250.
Let’s get to it so you can start betting on sports in a safe and legal way.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook bonus for NY
When you use the bonus code PLAYBONUS, your first settled bet with the online sportsbook in New Jersey will be matched for the same amount in the form of a new bet, for free.
Free offers are fairly common for online sportsbooks, and they basically allow users a couple of chances to get their first bet correct. If you are lucky enough to hit a big win with either of your first two bets at Golden Nugget, your bankroll will be off to a great start.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook bonus code in 2022
|Online Sportsbook||Golden Nugget Sportsbook|
|Online Since||February 2019 in New Jersey|
|Last Updated||November 24, 2021|
How does the Golden Nugget Sportsbook bonus work?
One thing to be especially aware of is that it is not your first bet with Golden Nugget that is free, it’s your first settled bet.
Next, the welcome bonus is valid only for straight or live bets, so you can’t make a parlay and receive a refund if it doesn’t hit. On the other hand, there are no maximum or minimum odds requirements, so that’s a plus.
And when it comes to what happens when your first bet is settled, it works like this: If your bet wins or loses you will earn an additional free bet in the amount of you first bet up to $250.
You can only use that free bet all at once; you can’t break it up.
Golden Nugget’s welcome offer definitely is not the best one you’ll find at a New Jersey online sportsbook, but if you are able to cash in on an underdog with your first bet and win big, it could be worthwhile.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook promotions
Golden Nugget Sportsbook NJ does not offer a ton of promotions, but its parlay booster has the potential to more than make up for the lack of other offers.
Golden Nugget’s parlay boost has the ability to increase your parlays by up to 20%. However, in order to get the full 20% increase to your profit, you would need to hit a 20-leg parlay. The parlay booster starts at 3% for three-leg bets and continues to go up by 1% for each additional leg from there.
The other thing to be aware of is that all the legs of your parlay need to have odds of -145 or longer.
The only other Golden Nugget promotion that currently is available is the sportsbook’s daily odds boost. The daily odds boosts are called Golden Lines, which are pretty much the same thing that most online sportsbooks offer for daily odds boosts.
You can’t use Golden Lines for parlays, and the vast majority of the time they are capped at $25 wagers.
Is it legal to download Golden Nugget Sportsbook in NY?
Definitely. You can download the Golden Nugget app for your Android or Apple device, and you will be able to do everything but place bets from New York.
Whenever you want to make bets, you will need to make sure the geolocation on your mobile device is switched on and that you are actually in New Jersey. Also, in case you weren’t aware, you must be 21 or older to gamble in New Jersey.
And if you were wondering if you can bet on college teams using the Golden Nugget Sportsbook app, the answer to that is yes as well. The only catch is that New Jersey’s sports betting law does not allow for betting on college events going on in NJ or for betting on NCAA teams from the Garden State.
But that means as long as a New York college team such as Syracuse isn’t playing in NJ, you will be able to bet on the Orange.
How to create a Golden Nugget Sportsbook account in NY
Since you now know you can legally register for an account in New York, let’s walk you through what the application process looks like. The entire sign-up process will take only a few minutes.
- Go to the Golden Nugget Sportsbook webpage or open the Golden Nugget app.
- Select “sign up” in the top right corner.
- Enter your account details on the next couple of pages: email address, first and last name, date of birth, gender, phone number, home address and final four digits of your Social Security number. You’ll also provide an answer to a security question.
- Be sure to add the bonus code PLAYBONUS to claim your $250 free wager.
And that is all there is to registering and creating an account with Golden Nugget NJ.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook app review
If you do not already have the Golden Nugget app on your iPad, iPhone or Android phone or tablet, you can get it by following our links. First you will be asked if you want to download the file, and after it has downloaded, you will be asked if you want to install the file. Select “yes” both times, and the app will be ready to use in a matter of minutes, if not sooner.
Golden Nugget app as a sportsbook and casino
One of the first things you will notice about Golden Nugget is that it’s more than just an online sportsbook, it’s an online casino, too. Online casinos are legal in New Jersey, so you can use it for that, as well, but for this review we’re focusing just on the sportsbook part of the app.
When you open Golden Nugget’s app, it will take you to the casino portion. To get to the sportsbook you just have to select “Sports” along the top of the page.
Placing sports bets on the Golden Nugget app
To place bets using the app, just find what you’re looking to wager on and click on it, then that bet will be added to your bet slip. You can either keep adding bets or open your slip to add the amount you want to bet before selecting “Place bets.” And that’s all there is to it.
Golden Nugget will display the amount you’re betting as well as the potential return on all your bets. And when it comes to making parlays, teasers and round robins, just add what you want to bet on and select the appropriate bet and you’ll be set.
Navigating the rest of the app
The Golden Nugget app is pretty easy to navigate because everything is labeled well. There are links across the top of the screen to take you to the promotions page, the cashier for making deposits and withdrawals, and the help center if you run into any problems.
If you’re not interested in Golden Nugget’s online casino, it can be a little annoying that the app always defaults to it, but transitioning to the sportsbook is just one click, so it really is not a major issue.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook features and benefits
Here’s a look at some of the areas where Golden Nugget is really excelling right now:
- If you’re a fan of parlays, then Golden Nugget’s parlay boost is something you’ll really love. The ability to see your parlays of three to 20 legs increased by up to 20% is a big deal. Even the 3% increases can add up to a pretty substantial amount over time.
- Another great feature is the number of ways you can deposit and cash out. Because the fact is, as a New Yorker you already are having to go to New Jersey to place your bets, you really don’t want to have to make deposits and withdrawals in person, too.
- And lastly, Golden Nugget New Jersey has a great customer service department that is open 24 hours a day. This obviously is a feature we hope you never have to use, but if something breaks or isn’t working right, you’ll be glad you’re doing business with a company that will be there to help day or night.
How could Golden Nugget improve?
And here are our thoughts on a few of the areas where Golden Nugget could be doing better:
- While it’s nice to have the option of using the online casino, we do not like that the sportsbook and casino are combined. It would be so much better if Golden Nugget had separate apps for the two products. As it is, the sportsbook offering feels as if it’s playing second fiddle.
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook also is lagging far behind the competition when it comes to the number and quality of promotions it offers. Even its best sportsbook offer, the parlay booster, pales in comparison to other offers at top New Jersey online sportsbooks.
- And the lack of a rewards program that is focused specifically on the site’s sportsbook is another issue. The loyalty program that exits feels as if it is for the casino, and the sportsbook offerings are just thrown in as an afterthought.
Types of bets available at Golden Nugget online sportsbook
Here’s a look at the various ways you can bet at Golden Nugget Sportsbook and how each bet operates:
- Moneyline bets are wagers where you just have to pick which team or player will win.
- Spread bets require you to pick how many points or runs a team will win a game by. This is what people are referring to when they are talking about “covering the spread.”
- Totals or over/unders are bets where Golden Nugget provides you with a number and you bet on whether the total during the game will be above or below the given number.
- Prop bets are wagers that don’t have to do with the actual outcome of a game. Instead they are often about how players will perform in games, but also can be team-related.
- Parlay bets are wagers where you make two or more picks, called legs, and with each added leg your potential winnings go up, but your chances of winning go down because you must get every leg right to win your bet.
- Teaser bets are spread wagers involving two or more teams. For these you change the lines in your favor for all the games you’re picking by the same amount. This means the odds will adjust, as well.
- Round robins are kind of like parlays, but they involve at least three selections and they are not all grouped together. Instead, at least one selection is omitted from groups of bets so you can still win some money if you make one incorrect pick.
- Futures markets are for bets further into the future. The most common futures markets are for players to win most valuable player awards and for teams to win overall championships.
- In game or live betting is any type of bet that you make after the start of a game. Make sure you have a good internet connection when engaging in live betting, because otherwise you could miss out on bets before odds change or you could end up making a bet without actually knowing the current situation in a game.
Sports you can bet on at Golden Nugget
You’ll find odds for NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB and MLS games, plus college football and basketball at Golden Nugget NJ. Along with those, you’ll be able to wager on the UFC, NASCAR, PGA Tour, as well as bet on the WTA and ATP, and the WNBA.
If you’re looking for sports from around the world, you’ll find that as well. For instance, there are soccer leagues from England, Germany, Spain and other nations. And if all that isn’t enough, Golden Nugget also has some smaller sports like cricket, table tennis and darts that you can bet on.
NY sports teams you can bet on
If you’re a native New Yorker and you love cheering on our local teams, you now can bet on them using your phone on the Golden Nugget pp. And if you’re new to the Empire State, here’s a look at all our local pro and college teams that you can bet on with Golden Nugget.
- For basketball fans you can wager on the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets and New York Knicks, or on the New York Liberty in the WNBA.
- For football lovers, there are the New York Jets, Buffalo Bills and New York Giants.
- If baseball is your preferred sport, you have the New York Yankees or New York Mets.
- For hockey diehards out there, we have the Buffalo Sabres, New York Rangers and New York Islanders.
- And don’t forget about the most popular sport in the world, soccer. New York has two MLS squads: New York City FC and the New York Red Bulls.
- We also have a lot of colleges in the Empire State. There are 22 that have Division I basketball teams, and 12 of those schools have Division I football programs, as well. Among the popular choices are the Syracuse Orange and Army Black Knights. Just note that while you can bet on NY-based college teams at Golden Nugget, you cannot bet on NJ-based schools due to the betting laws in the state. You also are prohibited from betting on NCAA events being played in New Jersey.
New York futures betting
Golden Nugget Sportsbook has futures markets that you can bet on, which might be a great option if you don’t want to go to New Jersey more than a few times a year. Instead of trying to head to NJ every week during the NFL season, you could choose to bet on the Giants, Jets or Bills season win totals before the season. And then you could watch your bets play out during the course the NFL season.
You even can bet on players like Kevin Durant or Kyrie Irving to win the MVP award in the NBA.
Whatever it might be that you’re intrigued by, futures betting is a great way to bet on sports using the Golden Nugget mobile app, without having to go to Jersey all the time.
How to deposit and cash out on the Golden Nugget sports betting app
Golden Nugget has a plethora of ways to put money into and take money out of your account, most of which you can do remotely.
First up, let’s look at all the ways you can deposit money at Golden Nugget Sportsbook NJ:
- Online bank transfer
- Golden Nugget Play+ prepaid card
- Credit card
- VIP Preferred
- In person at Golden Nugget Atlantic City
And here are your choices when it comes to making a withdrawal at Golden Nugget:
- Golden Nugget Play+ prepaid card
- VIP Preferred
- Check in the mail
- Wire transfer
Please note that if you choose a check, the minimum withdrawal amount is $300, while the minimum for using a wire transfer is $500.
How to contact Golden Nugget customer support
The Golden Nugget help desk is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day. You can email [email protected], call 855-873-1010 or have a live chat via the app or webpage. We also recommend checking out Golden Nugget’s help page, where you can try to diagnose and solve your problem on your own before reaching out to Golden Nugget for assistance.
Responsible gambling at Golden Nugget New York
On the Golden Nugget webpage and app, you can put restrictions in place to control the amount of time and money you are able to spend. You also can exclude yourself from the site entirely if you feel as if you have a gambling problem or don’t want to be tempted to bet.
Golden Nugget also offers links and phone numbers to call if you believe you might have a problem with gambling or think someone you cares about does.
Where is the Golden Nugget retail sportsbook?
The Golden Nugget has a retail sportsbook at Golden Nugget Casino Atlantic City.
The sportsbook is located just off the grand atrium and has more than 50 TVs, five video walls and self-service betting kiosks. But remember, if you have your phone handy, you can place bets using the Golden Nugget app, instead of having to go to a betting kiosk.
- Address: 600 Huron Ave., Atlantic City, New Jersey
- Phone: 609-441-2000
- Amenities: More than 50 TVs, betting kiosks and limited seating capacity
- Betting: Self-serve betting kiosks that are open 24/7
- Hours: Monday, 3 p.m.-11 p.m.
Tuesday-Wednesday, only kiosks open
Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-11 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Opened: 2019
Is Golden Nugget the best sportsbook for New York sports bettors?
We have a hard time seriously considering Golden Nugget the best sportsbook out there for New Yorkers, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a very solid choice.
The fact is, if you’re looking for a dual sportsbook/casino app, then Golden Nugget just might be the best option for you. However, if you are mostly or only concerned with getting a top sportsbook app, then we don’t consider Golden Nugget our No. 1 choice.
Instead, we would turn to DraftKings or FanDuel due to the number of promotions they have, the betting markets they offer and the quality odds across the board.
Golden Nugget FAQs
Without a doubt. Golden Nugget is a respected name in the gambling industry, and it is licensed in New Jersey, making it a great option for anyone living in New York who wants to cross the border to bet on sports.
You need to be a minimum of 21 years old. Also, while you can bet online, you need to be in New Jersey when you actually place your bets. For this reason you also need to turn on geolocation software on your computer, tablet or phone in order to make any sports bets.
Yes, you can bet on any college team located outside of the state of New Jersey using the Golden Nugget app. The only exception is that you also are prohibited from betting on any NCAA events that take place in New Jersey.
If you are using an online bank transfer, PayPal, Golden Nugget Play+ card or PayNearMe, the minimum deposit is $10 at Golden Nugget. If you use a credit card or VIP Preferred, the minimum deposit is $20.
Because offshore sports betting sites are not licensed or regulated, whereas Golden Nugget is both of those things. What that means for you is that your money and personal information are safe and secure at Golden Nugget, and if anything happens, Golden Nugget can be held responsible. Offshore sites are under no such mandates and thus you could end up losing a lot if you choose to do business with them.